Dermatitis: Condition, Symptoms & Treatment
Nobody likes to scratch their skin, especially when it is accompanied by scaling, crusting and oozing. Taking Atarax can be the best solution to stop the itching caused by allergies.
Dermatitis means skin inflammation. This term embraces a wide range of ailments that are characterized by redness and itching of the skin.
What are the types of this condition?
- Contact dermatitis: there are 2 subtypes in this; irritant contact dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis. Allergic contact dermatitis occurs due to the allergic reaction of the skin to some substances. It is a type of allergy in which the symptoms occur only when the dermis actually comes in contact with the allergen. Usually, the symptoms of this type last for a short period. It can occur due to certain flowers, herbs or even fruits and vegetables. Irritant contact dermatitis can occur when harsh substances such as detergents repeatedly come in contact with the dermis causing severe symptoms like redness and itching.
- Atopic dermatitis: this is also called eczema. This form is characterized by scaling, itching and swelling along with blister formation. This type usually runs in families and is associated with asthma and allergies.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: this is sometimes called cradle cap in infants. It is characterized by yellowish or reddish, greasy scales on the scalp, the face and the genitals.
- Stasis dermatitis: it occurs due to the poor circulation in the legs. People having varicose veins or congestive heart failure are more likely to suffer from this ailment. In these conditions, the veins in the legs can not return blood efficiently resulting in the pooling of blood and swelling in the legs. Over a period of time, this swelling causes irritation of the skin.
- Dermatitis herpetiformis. It occurs due to a gastrointestinal disorder called celiac disease that results from the ingestion of substances containing gluten.
What causes this condition?
- It usually occurs due to heredity or genetic factors. People having this disease often have a family history of the same.
- People having low immunity due to HIV infection or AIDS also have a higher tendency to suffer from this disease.
- Taking frequent hot showers can also cause this condition.
- Although stress does not cause this disease, it has been proven to worsen it.
What are the symptoms of this disease?
- Dryness and reddish appearance of the affected part
- Severe itching
- Scaling or crusting
How to treat dermatitis?
Dermatologists advise patients to use Atarax for managing atopic dermatitis. It can also be used for relieving anxiety and tension. The main ingredient of this medicine is Hydroxyzine. It works by preventing the stimulation of the cells that release chemicals responsible for the allergic symptoms.
How to use?
Patients can use Atarax in a dose of 25 mg, 3 to 4 times in a day. Patients can consult their doctor to know more about the dosage of this drug.
If this disease is not managed properly, repeated scratching can damage the skin, resulting in dark patches and thickening. This can lead to permanent disfigurement. Using Atarax can control the itching and prevents any damage to the skin.