Dealing With Pregnancy Blues: Acne And Stretch Marks
Besides the rewards of bringing a new life into this world, pregnancy is associated with some irritants as well. Irritants that can probably diminish the spark of happiness you are feeling inside. An expectant mother is said to be blessed with beatifically glowing skin, but sadly this doesn’t happen most of times. As per the skin rules there is no relationship between acne and stretch marks, but the rule can be an exemption for pregnant women.
Who is the culprit? May be your skin type! But most of the credit goes to the increasing hormone levels that wreck havoc on your skin. This leads to many skin problems like pregnancy mask, acne, dreadful stretch marks and rashes. Women with fair skin complain about having more blackheads, whiteheads and pimples during pregnancy than their teenage. Stretch marks are the other major issue that worries women during pregnancy. But don’t despair, there are ways that can help you to deal with these pregnancy blues and combat skincare nightmares.
During pregnancy the increased androgen levels leads to increased production of sebum. This increase in the level of sebum gives rise to acne breakouts. Furthermore, when acne appears on the oiliest part of the skin, it give rise to blackheads and whiteheads. An expectant mother can combat this acne breakout by being a bit careful about certain things:
- The first method to keep your skin less prone to acne is to keep it clean all the time. For this you have to wash your face twice a day with a mild cleanser. After washing pat it dry with a soft cloth, because rubbing it with anything harsh can worsen the problems.
- Try and use oil free cosmetics. Like, oil free moisturizers and oil free lotions.
- Before making use of any lotion or cream to treat acne consult your doctor. As there are certain chemicals that are not considered to be safe for pregnant women. These chemicals can cause serious birth defects.
- Never squeeze zits, as it leaves scars on your face which looks even more unwelcoming.
Pregnancy Stretch marks
It might not sound good, but stretch marks are the blight of what should be the most beautiful experiences of a mother’s life. Stretch marks are the result of weight gain and hence skin stretching during pregnancy. During this phase of weight gain the skin is unable to adjust fast and this causes it to tear. Stretch marks occur during the middle of the pregnancy and appear as red and purple lines over the stomach, hips, breasts and thighs. However, there is nothing much that you can do to prevent the occurrence of stretch marks but their appearance can definitely be reduced. Here are some ways to do that:
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids to hydrate your body. This will hydrate your skin and will help in maintaining the elasticity of your skin.
- Moisturize your skin with creams and lubricants like cocoa and Shea butter. This will help in proper exfoliation and moisturizing of your skin that in turn promote new skin growth.
- After you have delivered the baby, do not stop the regimen of moisturizing, eating and drinking healthy. This is because even rapid weight loss can also result in stretch marks.
Apart from this, one thing that should be followed at every part of your pregnancy cycle is, exercise. A little regular exercise at least twice a week is good for blood circulation and oxygen supply to the blood cells. This helps in keeping your skin free of acne and healthy. These are the measures, if followed regularly can reduce the pregnancy blues and help you to enjoy some of the best moments of your life.